Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Lost Friend

I just watched the movie "Missing In Action" starring Chuck Norris. I was reminded again of an exchange student at Humblodt County High School while I was attending. I remember how he was always laughing, and really seemed to enjoy his first couple of months. One day he came to school and was really worried. The communists had invaded his native land of Vietnam, and He had not heard from his family in a couple of weeks. After about a week, he left to go home. No-one was able to convince him to stay, but no-one blamed him for leaving. I have often thought of him since then, but I have never heard about him again.
In 1963, while I was at college, I received a letter telling me to report for a physical prior to being drafted. I felt it was my patriotic duty to go into the army to fight for my country. When I first saw the doctor, he wanted to save time by asking what was wrong with me. I told him "Nothing". He said "OK. We will do it the hard way" and gave me the physical. He had his pen poised to sign the exam papers when he paused to tell me I could put on my shirt. As I did so, he caught my movement out of the corner of his eye. "Wait a minute." he said, "Let me see that again". "What?" I asked. "You know. Let me see that hand." Oh, that it's nothing just a little shotgun accident." I replied. "Forget it they don't want you." he said. I received a classification of I-Y "National Emergency Only".
As I watched the protests against the War in Vietmam, I would remember my Vietnamese friend and was sad that I was not able to help liberate his country and serve my country at the same time.

3 comments:

Celtic Rock Chic said...

Everything happens for a reason Dean, you know that.

trish said...

Your a very good writer Dean, I enjoyed reading your stories very much

MiracleBeliever said...

Thank you.